Recipe: Cod in Cartoccio with Garlic, Celery, and Cherry Tomatoes
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
– 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tablespoons white wine or lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
– Optional: 2 tablespoons capers or pitted black Moroccan olives
– 2 cod fillets
– 2 pieces of aluminum foil
– Olive oil for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). You can also use the grill – high heat – cook covered
- In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, chopped celery, cherry tomatoes, salt, olive oil, white wine or lemon juice, dried oregano, and parsley. Mix well.
- Optional: If desired, add capers or pitted black Moroccan olives to the mixture and continue to mix.
- Brush each piece of aluminum foil with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Place one cod fillet on each piece of foil.
- Spread the garlic, celery, and cherry tomato mixture evenly over the cod fillets.
- Wrap the foil tightly around the cod, ensuring that none of the juices leak out. This creates a sealed package known as “cartoccio.”
- Place the foil-wrapped cod on a baking sheet and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Bake or grill for approximately 12-15 minutes (turn/flip cartoccio after about 7 minutes) , or until the cod is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Carefully open the foil packages, being cautious of the hot steam. Transfer the cod to serving plates.
- Serve the cod in cartoccio immediately, allowing diners to unwrap their own packages at the table.
Note: The cod in cartoccio can be accompanied by steamed vegetables, a side of rice, or crusty bread for a complete meal. Enjoy!